06 May 2015

5. Kitchen

I'm obsessed with kitchen. Besotted. Shelves of deliciousness in jars and packets, hooks with sausages and rows of choppers... I want to make my dolls house kitchen feel lived in, messy, full of smells of spices and fresh cooking - like my kitchen looks before I quickly tidy up when we have visitors.


(please keep reading by clicking "read more" below...)
In my dolls house, I drilled a window above the sink to let the light in for the sake of photography.


Speaking of windows, I also embellished the inside ones on the doors of the house with curtains and delft tiles. My inspiration came from Dennis Severs house, a fabulous theatrical installation and real-life time-capsule building in Spitalfields, London. There, in the fireplaces, I spotted beautiful pseudo-delft tiles made by local artists,  Simon Pettet and Paul Bommer. They featured local butchers and noted personalities like Gilbert and George.
I printed them on photo paper and tiled them on my dollshouse door.



Enjoy a serving of eggs and bacon (courtesy of a charity shop in Oxfordshire, £1), finished with a plate of strawberries!


I even made a sack of rubbish for that lived-in bouquet...



The kitchen has been the most interactive room so far... Recently I met a lovely lady called Sue on one of FB groups, who was my first ever swap partner in the dolls house universe! Sue kindly knitted me a teapot cosy, which is such a beauty:

I am hard at work to make my kitchen look as crammed, claustrophobic and filthy as possible:

Somebody will have to come and do the dishes soon....

1 comment: